The longlist for this year’s Samuel Johnson Prize for Nonfiction has been announced in the UK.
The longlisted titles are:
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers (Katherine Boo, Scribe)
- One on One (Craig Brown, Fourth Estate)
- Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest (Wade Davis, Bodley Head)
- The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin (Masha Gessen, Granta Books)
- Feathers: The Evolution of a Natural Miracle (Thor Hansen, Basic Books)
- Thinking, Fast and Slow (Daniel Kahneman, Penguin)
- The Old Ways (Robert MacFarlane, Hamish Hamilton)
- Inside the Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer (Ray Monk, Jonathan Cape)
- Grand Pursuit: The Story of Economic Genuis (Sylvia Nasar, Fourth Estate)
- Winter King: The Dawn of Tudor England (Thomas Penn, Penguin)
- The Better Angels of Our Nature (Steven Pinker, Penguin)
- The Spanish Holocaust (Paul Preston, HarperCollins)
- Strindberg: A Life (Sue Prideaux, Yale University Press)
- Joseph Anton (Salman Rushdie, Jonathan Cape).
The winner of this year's prize, worth £20,000 (A$31,115), will be announced on 12 November. For more information about the prize, click here.