The shortlists for this year’s Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) Book of the Year Awards have been announced.
The shortlisted titles in each of the categories are:
- Ishmael and the Hoops of Steel (Michael Gerard Bauer, Omnibus Books)
- A Straight Line to My Heart (Bill Condon, A&U)
- The Golden Day (Ursula Dubosarsky, A&U)
- The Dead I Know (Scot Gardner, A&U)
- Ship Kings: The Coming of the Whirlpool (Andrew McGahan, A&U)
- When We Were Two (Robert Newton, Penguin).
- Crow Country (Kate Constable, A&U)
- Brotherband: The Outcasts (John Flanagan, Random House)
- Nanberry: Black Brother White (Jackie French, Angus & Robertson)
- The Truth About Verity Sparks (Susan Green, Walker Books)
- The Golden Door (Emily Rodda, Omnibus Books)
- Bungawitta (Emily Rodda, Omnibus Books).
- The Runaway Hug (Nick Bland & Freya Blackwood, Scholastic)
- Come Down, Cat! (Sonya Hartnett & Lucia Masciullo, Puffin)
- That’s Not a Daffodil! (Elizabeth Honey, A&U)
- The Last Viking (Norman Jorgensen & James Foley, Fremantle Press)
- No Bears (Meg McKinley & Leila Rudge, Walker Books)
- Rudie Nudie (Emma Quay, ABC Books).
- Look, a Book! (Libby Gleeson & Freya Blackwood, Little Hare)
- The Dream of the Thylacine (Margaret Wild & Ron Brooks, A&U)
- For All Creatures (Glenda Millard & Rebecca Cool, Walker Books)
- A Bus Called Heaven (Bob Graham, Walker Books)
- No Bears (Meg McKinlay & Leila Rudge, Walker Books)
- Flood (Jackie French & Bruce Whatley, Scholastic).
Eva Pownall Award for Information Books:
- The Little Refugee (Anh Do, Suzanne Do & Bruce Whatley, A&U)
- One Small Island: The Story of Macquarie Island (Alison Lester & Carol Tulloch, Penguin)
- Surrealism for Kids (Queensland Art Gallery)
- Bilby Secrets (Edel Wignell & Mark Jackson, Walker Books)
- Fromelles: Australia’s Bloodiest Day at War (Carole Wilkinson, Black Dog Books)
- Playground (ed by Nadia Wheatley, illus by Ken Searle, A&U).
The notable books in each category can be seen here.
Crichton Award for new illustrators
The shortlist for the 2012 Crichton Award for new illustrators has also been announced.
The shortlisted titles are:
- Ben & Duck (Sara Acton, Scholastic)
- Squish Rabbit (Katherine Battersby, UQP)
- A Song for Lorkie (Dean Bowen, words by Jennifer Castles, A&U)
- York’s Universe (Heidi Goh, Windy Hollow Books)
- Mozzie and Midgie (Sandy Okalyi, words by Doug MacLeod, Working Title Press)
- Grumpy Little King (Michel Streich, A&U).
The winners of this year’s awards will be announced and presented on Friday 17 August, which marks the beginning of Children’s Book Week (18 – 24 August). The theme for this year’s Book Week is ‘Champions Read’. More information about the CBCA Awards and Children’s Book Week can be found here.